Friday 27 May 2011

Fantastic Finds

I found the best bargain buy just round the corner from me in my local charity shop this week, I picked up these two fabulous vintage bird books for just £1.50 each.I have spent large amounts of time lost in them both, especially the big one, they are so beautifully illustrated, I love them! I can't help but think that we've lost something with the now standard practise of all bird books being filled with photographs. I mean they are beautiful still but you have to admire this artists talent, these amazing colours just pop off the page.
I love the style of the language they are written in too... who can resist chapter headings like "Goatsuckers and their Allies"?I fully intend to spend a week or two with my head stuck in this book getting inspiration for my next projects! Hopefully I'll be able to bring some new designs to my shops soon.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, they are stunning! Score! I love proper old wildlife books and field guides with beautiful illustrations too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet the books smell fantastic, too. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure you'll find inspiration for new inky things in those lovely books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, will you be making any felt "goatsuckers"? What are "goatsuckers" anyway - the mind positively boggles?!
    Great finds - so gorgeous - and you're so right about the lovely illustrations vs. photos.

    ReplyDelete